Similarly “binge marketing” is an unhealthy practice. However, it is an extremely common occurrence in all industries, including the promotional one.
Typically, businesses spend on marketing in busy periods like the holiday season and then halt all marketing promotions in months following that. Now that December has gone by, many companies stop all marketing activities with the rationale that they will spend on marketing during the next busy season.While it is true that spending on marketing during November and December leads to an increase in sales, effective marketing means being consistent. A quiet spell now is actually a result of lack of planning and marketing six months ago. To avoid quiet spells and ensure regular sales, every business needs to plan in advance. Engage in simple daily, weekly and monthly marketing activities to increase your number of clients and improve your relationship with current clients.
- Send one e-mail/ call at least one new contact
- Add at least one new client’s name to your list of potential clients
- Add one more personal detail about a current client to your client database
- Send Surveys to current customers. Ask them if they are satisfied with your services/products, your delivery speed, your staff etc. Incorporate relevant customer suggestions so that you can meet clients’ needs better and so that your clients know that their opinions matter to you
- Competitor research: research your competitors’ activities and integrate their successful strategies in your plans. Also, know what your competitors are doing so that you can constantly work at setting yourself and your brand apart.
- Contact the customers who truly support your business. These are the customers that provide referrals for your business and engage in word-of-mouth marketing for your company.
- Review the effectiveness of the contact points of your business. For example, how effective is the initial phone greeting from your receptionist?
So, instead of binging, engage in healthy, regular marketing activities and watch your sales and business grow consistently.